Goles' Golden Goal Sends Dickinson to NCAA Quarterfinals

Goles' Golden Goal Sends Dickinson to NCAA Quarterfinals

(Carlisle, Pa.) – The #9-ranked Dickinson men's lacrosse team survived a thriller with #12-ranked Washington & Lee, advancing to the "Elite Eight" of the NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Championship. The Red Devils rallied from an 8-6 deficit to force overtime and tallied the game-winner just 26 seconds into the first extra frame for a 10-9 victory.

Nick Goles (Monkton, Md./Loyola-Blakefield) finished a beautifully executed play out of a timeout, scoring off a great feed from senior Tyler Strods (Skaneateles, N.Y./Skaneateles) to send the Red Devils into the national quarterfinals.

The opening quarter was a defensive battle as both teams looked to break through on the offensive end. Sam Dardani put the Generals on the board first with senior Dylan Maher (Ridgefield, Conn./Ridgefield) answering for a 1-1 draw at the end of the period.

Goles found the net to start the second and Tucker Carney (Wallingford, Pa./Strath Haven) scored off an assist from Brodie Phillips (Charlottesville, Va./St. Anne's Belfield) to put the Red Devils up, 3-1.

Hudson Hamill tallied a goal and an assist to pull W&L even with 5:35 remaining in the half before long pole defenseman Jack Doran (Ardmore, Pa./Haverford School) made a brilliant dodge on a clear and ripped the back of the net to put Dickinson back on top at the 3:50 mark.

Junior Jack O'Connell (Sands Point, N.Y./Westminster) put away an assist from Goles with just 30 seconds to play in the half to give the Devils a 5-3 advantage at the break.

Another defensive struggle in the third quarter saw goals from Hamill and O'Connell as Dickinson took a 6-4 lead into the final period.

The Generals looked to turn the tables, scoring four straight to pull in front, 8-6, with 8:39 remaining in regulation. The Devils broke up the run as Goles scored and Maher tied the game on an assist from O'Connell.

A.J. Witherall scored his second of the game to put W&L back in front with 4:39 to play.

Dickinson showed great composure down the stretch as they patiently worked the ball on the offensive end. Phillips saw daylight on a feed from O'Connell to pull the Devils even with just under four minutes to go.

General goaltender Jack Taylor turned away four shots in the final two minutes to keep the game level and force overtime.

The Red Devils won the face-off and called timeout. Great execution set the stage for Goles to find the net on a perfect pass from Strods to send the Red Devils into the 'Elite Eight'.

Cole Pellicano (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) had another outstanding performance in the nets, finishing with 12 saves.

The Red Devils did a great job against one of the nation's top face-off specialists as Ryan Campbell (Rumson, N.J./Rumson-Fairhaven) won 7-of-12 while junior Bobby Hartwick (Brookeville, Md./Georgetown Prep) claimed 7-of-10 on the day.

Goles finished with three goals and one assist while O'Connell tallied two goals and two assists. Nate Usich (Avon, Conn/Avon Old Farms) forced a pair of turnovers and controlled three ground balls while Charlie DeMuth (Baltimore, Md./Gilman) picked up three GBs as well in the midfield.

Taylor finished with 16 saves as Washington & Lee finishes the season 15-5 overall.

Coach Webster's Red Devils improve to 17-3 on the year. They will travel to 2-time defending national champion Salisbury University for a Quarterfinal, "Elite 8" match-up on Wednesday, May 16, 2018. The Seagulls mounted a 7-goal comeback to defeat Christopher Newport 12-11 in the Third Round. Salisbury has won the national title 12 times. Dickinson faced Salisbury at Biddle Field in the program's last trip to the Elite 8 in 2013.

Faceoff is set for Wednesday evening at 7pm in at Seagull Stadium in Salisbury, Md. Follow @DsonRedDevils on Twitter for ticket information, and NCAA Tournament updates throughout the week.