Washington Survives Double-OT Thriller at Palestra

Washington Survives Double-OT Thriller at Palestra

(Philadelphia, Pa.) – The Dickinson men's basketball team had a slow start on Sunday, playing at the historic Palestra in Philadelphia, but worked its way back before the end of the half to trail, 40-39. The second half was back-and-forth throughout and would eventually go into overtime.

Washington College gained an edge in the second overtime and held on in a thriller, 111-103.

Sophomore guard Bryce Allen (Albany, N.Y./The Hill School) led the charge in the opening half, scoring 13 points on 4-of-6 shooting, going 3-for-5 from the three-point line. He added a pair of free throws as Dickinson went 7-for-10 from the line in the first half.

The teams went back-and-forth through the opening five minutes of the second half, playing to a 50-50 tie. The Red Devils gained a little separation on a three-pointer from first-year Chas Battaglia (Sterling, Va./Langley), giving them a 65-60 advantage, with 10:16 remaining in regulation.

Dickinson went in front 76-72 on strong a move from Jon Stenger (Midlothian, Va./James River). The Shoreman answered with a three-pointer from Josh Porteous.

Washington buried a big three-pointer to take an 81-79 lead but Justus Melton (Charlotte, N.C./Covenant Day) came up with a huge offensive rebound and tied the game on the next possession.

The Shoremen used free throws to lead 84-83, with under two minutes to play. Allen later cut the deficit to one with a strong move to the rim with 1:40 on the clock.

After trading steals, Tax Dixon hit one of two free throws for a two-point advantage. The Devils countered with a great dish from Allen to Romocki to knot the game with just nine seconds to play.

The defense held and Romocki had a chance from half court, but the game would go in to overtime, tied at 85.

Washington built the lead to 93-88 will strong play off the bench from Barry McCormick. Allen scored on a spin move and Mike Hinckley (Bryn Mawr, Pa./Episcopal Academy) pulled Dickinson within one with 58 seconds to play in the first overtime.

The Red Devils held on two possessions but were unable to convert on the offensive end. Washington hit single free throws on two separate possessions to lead, 95-92. With just four seconds on the clock, the Devils had one final shot. Allen would bury a well-defended, fade-away three-pointer from the corner to force a second overtime.

The Shoremen pulled in front by nine in the second overtime. Hinckley put the Devils over the century mark, making the score, 108-101, with just a minute to play.  

Free throws would make the final, 111-103, as Washington held on to improve to 5-10 overall and 2-6 in the Centennial Conference.

Melton finished with a game-high 26 points, adding 10 rebounds for a double-double, hitting 10-of-16 shots on the night. Allen tallied 23 points and four assists while Hinckley went 8-for-11 from the floor and 6-for-8 from the free throw line, adding 23 points as well. Hinckley added eight rebounds and six assists on the afternoon.

Senior Moses Romocki (Creedmoor, N.C./Cardinal Gibbons) reached double-figures with 13 points, four rebounds and six assists.

Porteous led Washington with 20 points while McCormick added 20 points as well, seeing just 18 minutes of action.

The Red Devils slip to 8-7 overall and 4-4 in the Centennial Conference. They return home for big conference match-up on Wednesday, hosting Franklin & Marshall at 8:00 pm.