Red Devils Celebrate 40th Anniversary of Title IX
Dickinson will celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Title IX with a week of events, guest speakers and activities, leading up to Homecoming weekend. On Monday, September 24th, in the Anita Tuvin Schlechter Auditorium (ATS), the college will present key note speaker, Pat Genovese. Genovese is the winningest coach in the history of NCAA lacrosse, men or women, at Division I, II or III. She began her career coaching several programs at the time of the passage of Title IX. Genovese has played an integral role in, not only the development and growth of women's sports, but the the development and growth of opportunities for women, both on and off the playing field.
40th Anniversary Celebration of Title IX
List of Events
Friday, September 21, 11 am – 1 pm - table on Britton Plaza to advertise; hand out 5 x 7 postcards and wrist bands
Monday, September 24, 7:00 PM, ATS
- Key Note Speaker – Pat Genovese
- Pat Genovese – Winningest Lacrosse coach in the history of the NCAA, men or women, Division I II or III. Began her career coaching several sports at the time of the passage of Title IX.
- ESPN Video on Pat Genovese
- Clarke Forum speaker– Co-sponsors Athletics, The Office of Institutional and Diversity Initiatives, The Women's Center
Monday, September 24, 5:30 PM, Clarke Forum – Dinner with Pat Genovese for students and staff
Tuesday, September 25, 4:00 PM – Field Hockey Home Game. South Middleton Little Bubblers Field
Hockey Players (K-3) will be playing at half time.
Friday, September 28, 11 am – 1 pm - table on Britton Plaza to advertise; hand out 5 x 7 postcards and wrist bands
Saturday, September 29, 4:45 – 5:45 PM, Depot – 40th Anniversary of Title IX Celebration Sports Panel
- Karen Pflug-Felder '71 (Field Hockley and Basketball, Hall of Fame member)
- Al Masland '79 (Men's Soccer, Former Dickinson Women's Soccer Coach)
- Dolores "Deeg" Giachetti Shank '87 (Basketball, Softball, Hall of Fame Member)
- Kim Unsworth Franklin '96 (Swimming, current Hall of Fame Inductee)
- Christine Hufenbecher '02 (Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field, current Hall of Fame Inductee)
- Liz Allen Starks '02 (Cross Country, Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field, current Hall of Fame Inductee)
The order of events will be as follows:
- 4:45 – 4:55 – Enjoy appetizers and refreshments
- 4:55 – Introduction of the panelists and Title IX Anniversary Celebration
- 4:58 – 5:16 – Statements by the panelists (3 minutes each)
- 5:16 – 5:45 – Open the floor to questions and additional comments by the panelists
Title IX Archive Display in Kline
Celebrate Sport Mosaic in Kline – Celebrate the sports that have made such a difference in your life and add your photo and thoughts to our Celebrate Sport Mosaic which will be displayed in the lobby of the Kline Center. The top of the board will read "Can you imagine your life without sports?" If your answer is no, then please write a brief statement as to why, attach a picture and email it to Coach Henry (firstname.lastname@example.org). It can be a head shot, a photo of you playing your sport or even a photo of you as a kid, where it all began! If you'd like to include a picture but don't have access to one right away, you are welcome to send your response in two parts; first the statement and then the photo. But either way, please be a part of this activity as we celebrate our involvement in sports. This activity is for both men and women. Sports have enriched all of our lives and the fact that Title IX gave more opportunity to women has had a positive effect on us all. Let's collaborate and show why we love our sports and how our participation in sports has made us the people that we are today. This will be an ongoing project but please do reply soon.