Red Devils Fall at Roanoke 11-8

Red Devils Fall at Roanoke 11-8



(Roanoke, Va.) – The #15-ranked Dickinson men's lacrosse team dropped it third straight game, falling at Roanoke College, 11-8, on Saturday.


The Red Devils had a quick start as senior Carter Moore (Virginia Beach, Va./Norfolk Academy) claimed the first six face-offs of the game, handing out an assist on the second, finding classmate Brian Gleason (Darien, Conn./Darien), wide open in front of the cage to put Dickinson in front, 2-0.


First-year Tyler Llewellyn (Cockeysville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) put Dickinson the board, just 56 seconds into the game. After Moore fed Gleason, Will Scott (Emmaus, Pa./Emmaus) tallied another at the 12:36 mark, to stretch the lead to 3-0.


Roanoke answered, with just under seven minutes remaining in the first quarter. Will Pilat ripped a shot into the net to cut the deficit to 3-1.


Tyler McWilliams cut the lead to 3-2 at the one minute mark. Moore claimed another face-off but the Maroons forced a turnover to regain possession. Nick Baxter (Boxford, Mass./Governor's) made a huge save as time expired to end the first period.


Moore won his seventh face-off to open the second quarter. Llewellyn capitalized again, scoring unassisted, in the first minute.


Spencer Parsons took advantage of Roanoke's first face-off win as Max Kraus won the draw, making the score, 4-3. Sophomore Austin Dodson (Bethesda, Md./Landon) made a great dodge and scored for a 5-3, Red Devil lead.


McWilliams countered with a fast break goal, on a nice feed from Pilat, with 11:56 on the clock.


Moore continued to dominate face-offs but the Roanoke defense was able to hold. The Maroons were flagged with multiple penalties, giving the Devils an extra-man opportunity.


Junior George Mazarakis (Montclair, N.J./Kent) made it 6-4 with his second goal of the season, scoring off an assist from Ace Sudah (Franklin Park, N.J./St. Joseph) and Baxter came up with another big save after the ensuing face-off.


The goaltenders traded saves before Kevin Jackson found the net, to cut the margin to 6-5, with just over three minutes remaining in the half.


Senior Draper Donley (Lutherville, Md./St. Paul's School) came up with a big ground ball to give the Red Devils possession, late in the half but Roanoke forced a turnover on the other end. They drew a penalty on the Devils and ran out the clock to keep possession to start the third quarter.


Dickinson held on defense, forcing a turnover to gain possession in the third quarter. Roanoke got the ball back and went man-up on a slashing penalty. Baxter made another big stop, and the Devils cleared to run out the penalty.


Turnovers plagued both teams, early in the second half. Roanoke would pull even on an extra-man goal by Chad Smith, with 4:44 to play in the quarter. Spencer Parsons put the Maroons on top, scoring just 24 seconds later, making the score, 7-6.


Roanoke kept the momentum, winning the face-off, but the Devils held on defense, forcing a turnover. Scott tied the game, scoring off an assist from senior Brian Cannon (Reisterstown, Md./Loyola Blakefield) at the 1:56 mark of the third.


Kevin Jackson answered with 46 seconds to play, giving the hosts an 8-7 advantage. Chris Menard (South Hadley, Mass./South Hadley) fired off a shot in the final 10 seconds but Charles Pease was there for the save to end the quarter.


Moore won the face-off the start the fourth, and Dodson beat the defense, but another huge save by Pease led to a fast break goal on the other end, stretching the Roanoke lead to 9-7.


The Red Devil man-down unit held and Baxter came away with a big save. Jackson would tally again later, however, stretching the margin to 10-7, with exactly nine minutes remaining.


The Red Devils were flagged with another penalty at the 7:10 mark. Roanoke took advantage as Pilat dished out an assist to Chad Smith for an 11-7 lead with 6:22 to play.


Roanoke hit the pipe and Baxter made a pair of great saves as the game approached the two-minute mark. The Devils were flagged with a slash, but the man-down unit came up big, causing a turnover.


Kevin Leary (Guilford, Conn./Guilford) intercepted a pass and went down the field to score, pulling Dickinson within three, with 1:29 remaining in the game. Moore won the face-off and went to goal, but Pease made the stop.


Graham Parsons (Wilton, Conn./Wilton) forced a turnover but the Red Devils were unable to capitalize, falling 11-8.


Llewellyn and Scott each finished with a pair of goals to lead the Devils. Moore had another strong outing, winning 15-of-22 face-offs to go with a game-high 13 ground balls.


Donley added three ground balls while Baxter finished with nine saves on the day.


Pease made 12 saves for Roanoke while Jackson led the attack with three goals and two assists.


The Red Devils slip to 2-3 on the season. They return home to face Widener University, next Saturday at 1:00 pm.



  • $entry.alt



  • $entry.alt