#2-Red Devils Advance to NCAA Quarterfinals With 20-7 Win

Junior Carter Moore won 19-of-19 face-offs as the #2-ranked Red Devils advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals with a big, 20-7 win, over Adrian College<BR>
Photo by James Rasp
Junior Carter Moore won 19-of-19 face-offs as the #2-ranked Red Devils advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals with a big, 20-7 win, over Adrian College
Photo by James Rasp



(Carlisle, Pa.) – The #2-ranked Dickinson men's lacrosse team jumped out to an early lead and never looked back in the second round of the NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Championship on Saturday. The Red Devils held a 4-1 lead at the end of the first quarter, en route to a 20-7 decision, over visiting Adrian College from Michigan.


Junior Brian Cannon (Reisterstown, Md./Loyola Blakefield) put the Devils on the board, scoring his 100th career goal at the 8:24 mark of the first period. Classmate Brian Gleason (Darien, Conn./Darien) made it 2-0, scoring off a face-off win and assist from Carter Moore (Virginia Beach, Va./Norfolk Academy), just seven seconds later.


Moore was phenomenal on the day, winning a remarkable 19-of-19, face-off attempts while controlling a game-high 13 ground balls in the process.


The Bulldogs answered with an unassisted goal by Cody Kilcoyne (Brasher Falls, N.Y./St. Lawrence Central) before senior Matt Cherry (Bryn Mawr, Pa./Radnor) tallied to put the Devils up, 3-1. Sophomore defensive midfielder Ace Sudah (Franklin Park, N.J./St. Joseph) scored the first goal of his collegiate career with 17 seconds to play in the opening quarter for a 4-1 advantage.


John Hudzinski (Blaine, Minn./Centennial) struck for Adrian, just one minute into the second quarter. Moore responded with another face-off win and scored six seconds later on an assist from Gleason. Gleason scored on an extra-man opportunity, finishing an assist from Cherry with 12:30 to play in the half.


Kilcoyne tallied again for the Bulldogs at the 9:18 mark, but the Devils answered with three straight goals to take a 9-3 lead into halftime. First-year Chris Menard (South Hadley, Mass./South Hadley) ripped a shot into the net and Cannon netted an extra-man opportunity as Gleason recorded another assist. Kobi Frankel (Kinnelon, N.J./Kinnelon) found the back of the net with 30 seconds remaining for the 9-3 advantage.


The Devils would pick up right where they left off after the break. Starting the second half with possession from a late penalty, Will Scott (Emmaus, Pa./Emmaus) scored off an assist from Cherry, just 17 seconds into the half. Less than a minute later, Cherry fed Gleason for the hat-trick, and Tyler White (Philadelphia, Pa./Penn Charter) made the score, 12-3, scoring 12 seconds after Gleason.


Dickinson would rattle off 10 straight goals to hold a 16-3 advantage at the end of three quarters of play. Sophomore Brett Parker (Baltimore, Md./St. Paul's) got tangled up, but managed to find the net with a one-handed shot, and Cherry, Menard and White closed out the quater with goals as well.


Drake Daily-Chwalibog (White Lake, Mich./Orchard Lake St. Mary's) broke up the run, opening the fourth quarter with a goal at the 8:39 mark. Seniors Marek Laco (Potomac, Md./Landon) and Reiley Crosby (Monkton, Md./Hereford) answered to stretch the lead to 18-4.


The Bulldogs tallied back-to-back goals before first-year Greg Castro (New Fairfield, Conn./New Fairfield) won the face-off and scored to run the count to, 19-6. Hudzinski found the net in the final minute and senior Mike Reid (Ruxton, Md./Loyola) closed out the game, scoring with just 19 seconds to play, for the final of 20-7.


In addition to Moore's 19-for-19 performance, Castro controlled 6-of-10 on the day. Gleason led the attack with three goals and three assists while Cherry scored twice and handed out three assists on the day. Overall, 14 Red Devils found the scoring column, scoring a pair of man-down goals at the end of the second and third quarters.


The defense was relentless once again, allowing just seven goals while keeping Adrian scoreless for over a 30 minute stretch. Junior Draper Donley (Lutherville, Md./St. Paul's) caused five turnovers and controlled seven ground balls while senior Peter Zouck (Baltimore, Md./Gilman) caused three turnovers and picked up four ground balls.


Sophomore Slay Sudah (Franklin Park, N.J./St. Joseph) was outstanding in the shut-down role and long pole midfielder Brandon Palladino (Basking Ridge, N.J./Ridge) added three caused turnovers as well.


Greg Hanley (Laurel Hollow, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) turned in another strong performance as well, making 11 saves. Max Pawk (Sewickley, Pa./Sewickley) came on for the final quarter of action, and made three saves.


The Red Devils broke the school record, winning their 18th game of the season to improve to 18-0 on the year. They will now advance to the quarterfinals and host Salisbury University on Wednesday. Opening face-off is currently scheduled for 4:00 pm.



  • $entry.alt



  • $entry.alt